Monday 26 May 2014

Nursery World



I feared that I had suffered my first loss in the Thrupp Emperor Moth Nursery last week when one little caterpillar left the others clustered together, took up a lonely station on the side of the Tupperware box and remained motionless for two days. But instead of being dead, as I feared, he or she was simply getting ready to slough off his or her first skin, an operation also performed by the other catties, a couple of whom are shown above among abandoned skins.

Meanwhile, after last week's admirably complex investigation into the Dog's Tooth/Pale-shouldered Brocade mystery, I am hoping that Det Insps Wilton, Hall and Botham will concur that below is a Bright-line, Brown-eye. It is still asleep in an eggbox at the time of writing but will no doubt take its leave before dusk. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, no controversy over that one, thank goodness! Yes to Bright-line Brown-eye.

    My Emperors are currently on their third instar and are each about an inch long. As you say, they take a couple of days to shed their skins and don't feed over that period, normally clustering together on a stem of the food-plant. Best not to disturb them while that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Emperors are still hatching and I now have around a billion I think. This has happened over the past 10 days depending on where I kept the eggs (inside or out). They do get around for such small black furry blobs and are already defoliating half a hawthorn bush per day.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.