Sunday 1 June 2014

Look, I can rest differently



Is anyone else pleased when a moth decides to behave differently from the norm? Here's an example which for a few moments I took to be something new. In fact it's a Flame, but one which - uniquely in my limited experience - has decided to rest with its wings in a V-shape rather than tightly wrapped like an umbrella, as in the little pic, left. It shared the Robinson trap at Thrupp with 209 other moths including one newcomer, a Mottled Beauty (as featured by the Wolvercote duo yesterday). That's my first June debut; May saw 81 which brings my year's total to 132 (plus any number of the annoying tweedy, kidney-marked brethren which I aim to disentangle when the busy months of summer are a pleasant memory).  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.