Thursday 25 August 2016

IDs please

Nothing particularly exciting but I've been getting a few strange moths (like the worn centre barred sallow yesterday and the mouse moth below).

First wave is extremely worn but apart from Riband Waves I've not had any - can anyone work out what this one is?

Second - seemed more grey than most of the Riband waves and I've not seen any of those for a few weeks


Third and fourth - sorry about the poor pictures - despite being in the fridge for 3 hours and then the deep freeze it was hot to trot and I couldn't get a side view.


Finally - I thought I'd caught a large tortrix - but looking at it, I think it's a Mouse Moth but tiny.

Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford







2 comments:

  1. Hello Mark, you have Common Wave, Riband Wave (looks a bit odd but I'm sure that's still what it is), Argyresthia bonnetella and Mouse Moth. Lots of species can produce unusually small individuals for one reason or another and this seems to be a year when it has happened quite a lot. I had to look twice at a Straw Dot last night which was about half normal size.

    ReplyDelete