Saturday 27 August 2016

Pawcock



Two nice arrivals amid a welter of Large Yellow Underwings: a Peacock or Sharp-angled Peacock - I'd guess the latter from Richard Lewington's marvellous paintings but would appreciate advice; both would be new for me - and a Sycamore. I very much like the handsome appearance of the latter in spite of its subdued colouring. The Peacock, which I have renamed more appropriately in my heading, fluttered off straight after this one snap, which I was lucky to get.

With apologies for the awful photos, can the two below be identified by a kindly and patient expert? The first was minute as you can tell from the eggbox detail. My best guess for the second is a Ringed China-mark but that is a bow at a venture.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon



5 comments:

  1. The first looks like an ordinary Pawcock Martin, your next query is a frog-hopper of the genus Eupteryx (did you go to SpecSavers?) and finally yes Parapoynx stratiotata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks v much Peter - I'm very proud to have ID-ed at least one micro at last. Yes my specs are terrible although sometimes it is quite nice to have only an impressionist view of the world. But not when it comes to sorting moths. All v best M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention, it's not a Sycamore. Bit late for that, it looks more like a worn Dagger agg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again, Peter - that's really interesting. I'd assumed it was a Sycamore from a fairly quick look and because it's so distinctive. But I see what you mean, except that this doesn't seem a worn specimen in other ways, eg its 'fringe' on the wings. I wonder if there is anything else that it could be. It caught my eye amid the predictable things in the eggboxes. All best again, M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martin, it does seem to be one of the two Daggers (you can see the 'dagger' marking quite clearly on the right wing, at least, although there's little else to go on). They can sometimes have rather 'subdued' markings. As Peter says, it is also rather late for Sycamore now but the Daggers (certainly Grey Dagger) do come back for a second brood at this time of year. I've had six or seven this month, including one on each of the past two nights in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.