Thursday 4 August 2016

Tortrix questions and a carpet

Having just finished sorting through the photos from Tuesday night's catch I would appreciate some advice with the following.
I wondered about the Rose Tortrix  Archips rosana ?

Another one with little in the way of markings although there is more of a band visible in the photo than on the actual specimen! The best I could suggest is Pandemis corylana. I had just finished pruning my nearby hazel and caught 4 others with the distinctive chequered pattern. Maybe I disturbed them?
 


Maybe Cydia splendana but too many of these look similar to the untrained eye.


Finally is this a Red Twin-spot Carpet? I know I should have looked at the underside before the robin ate it.

Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, the second is definitely Pandemis corylana. I've had one or two aberrant examples like this in the past (for example, see: http://upperthamesmoths.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/westcott-bucks_31.html)

    Your Carpet will undoubtedly have been Red Twin-spot because Dark-barred Twin-spot seems to have all but disappeared from our area since the millennium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the top one may be a beaten-up Clepsis consimilana, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I hadn't realised that the Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet was another disappearing species.

    ReplyDelete