Monday 25 September 2017

A new form of moth trap


Sorry to fly many miles out of the area, but there might be a local application for this. On holiday in Portugal last week, I had an unexpectedly moth-rich time thanks to the pool at our hotel (provided I beat the assiduous debris-netter to my early morning combo of swim and entomological research).


I wonder if anyone has surveyed the pools of the Upper Thames, particularly any whose lights are left on at night? I think my pics here show inter alia Portuguese specimens of Peach Blossom, Grass Eggar, Yellow Belle, Vestal and Yellowtail. All were originally in the water and all appeared to recover on removal. The top left hand moth in the first composite pic was easily an inch underwater, gripping the pool side firmly and apparently content. There is quite a lot of interesting material online about 'underwater moths' and swimming pool moth experiences.  Home now and hoping to lure a Merveille DJ ce soir.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

3 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, certainly a different approach to moth-spotting! I can add one other English-named moth to your list, top left in the middle foursome is Tephronia sepiaria otherwise known as Dusky Carpet. It used to warrant an entry in the "doubtfully British" section at the back of the field guide but isn't mentioned at all in the latest one. Your Belle in the bottom foursome would be Aspitates gilvaria (so Straw Belle rather than Yellow Belle) but I think it actually looks more like a Vestal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha ... ignore the comment about the Belle because I've just noticed your Yellow Belle is actually in the topmost foursome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave - thanks very much for that. I was secretly hoping that you might give me some IDs. All warm wishes

    M

    ReplyDelete