Saturday 23 September 2017

Micro ID advice needed

Last night's catch was pleasing with 127 moths of 30 species including my first Frosted Orange, Sallow, Pink-barred Sallow and Beaded Chestnut of the year. Dozens of wasps and a hornet may well have reduced the catch judging by the debris in the bottom of the trap. (Thorns seem to be a particularly common prey). This micro has me puzzled. Possibly something in the Swammerdamia area but at 8mm in length and at this time of the year it seems unlikely?




Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, it's either Prays ruficeps or a dark P. fraxinella. These two have been recently split and I'm not confident in telling the two apart.

    Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Head looks very orange which makes it ruficeps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I thought I was on the wrong track.

    ReplyDelete