Tuesday 12 September 2017

Westcott, Bucks

The autumn species seem to be slow appearing here this year.  A Black Rustic on the 7th (with another last night) and a Red-green Carpet on the 9th are all I've had apart from Centre-barred Sallow which has been around since 22nd August and a single Orange Sallow on 26th August.  I've usually seen Deep-brown Dart, Lunar Underwing and Sallow by now but it is noticeable that in my local area there is still no ivy blossom available yet and the moths are generally 'in sync' with its appearance.  Fairly typical of the last week or so, 17 species appeared at the actinic here last night:  Acleris variegana (1), Celypha lacunana (2), Epinotia nisella (1), Eudonia angustea (2), Lesser Treble-bar (1), Brimstone Moth (3), Large Yellow Underwing (12), Lesser Yellow Underwing (1), Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (1), Setaceous Hebrew Character (2), Square-spot Rustic (1), Feathered Gothic (1), Common Wainscot (5), Black Rustic (1), Centre-barred Sallow (3), Flounced Rustic (1) & Snout (3).  Unless it has a very late flurry of activity, Square-spot Rustic looks set to put in its worst performance ever here.  Just over 100 have been recorded so far with the highest nightly count being a mere 13 individuals. 

Black Rustic, Westcott 11th September

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks 

5 comments:

  1. Haven't seen even Centre-barred Sallow, Black Rustic or any of those you mention yet so far this autumn myself, though apart from the garden I haven't trapped at all recently. Square-spot Rustic has been rather thin on the ground this year but Large Yellow Underwing has been numerous, although the 'numerousness' was fairly short-lived. Funny what you say about Ivy Blossom because I was speaking with some gardeners the other day and they were commenting on how early Ivy had flowered this year, and certainly around me in Didcot areas of Ivy Blossom have been out for weeks. Its hard to make sense of what's going on, its been a really odd year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange about the ivy, isn't it? I spoke to someone in south Bucks the other day who also said it had been in flower there for a while, but there's no sign here yet and we've got tons of it in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had Centre-barred sallow and that's about it. Like Marc the Large yellow Underwings seem to have really tailed off but that could be the current weather and they will reappear. I think the Ivy is just starting to flower here - I saw Red Admirals flying around our even though it's really windy. Got another Scarce Bordered straw (the fourth) here last night which means it's in the migrants second place after Silver Ys with only singleton Rush Veneer and Dark Sword-Grass this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ivy is certainly in bloom here in Sibford (Northern tip of Oxfordshire) and has been for a while. As far as autumn moths are concerned I had a single Centre-barred Sallow (27/8). On 11/9 I had my first Canary-shouldered Thorn, Lunar Underwing and Brown-spot Pinion. I have had a couple of nights when I got 37 Square-spot Rustic (25/8 and 27/8). Large Yellow Underwing numbers rapidly declining and now down to single figures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh I forgot about Brown-spot Pinion, I actually had a couple of those before I went away so sometime in early-mid August, but have not seen another since. I saw people were catching Sallow and Pink-barred Sallow in August, even one record somewhere in late July I think but for me the Sallows are yet to put in an appearance, even Centre-barred, and its so strange to be mid September and still not seen Lunar Underwing. I've also had 3 or 4 Scarce Bordered Straw this year, 2 recently in the new garden and 2 in the old garden weeks back. Rush Veneer, Silver Y, Rusty Dot Pearl and Diamond-back Moth were evident throughout the summer with the odd Dark Sword-grass. Its been a really messed up year and I just don't know what to make of it. I;'m sure you're right though mark that there will be a pick up in Large Yellow Underwings 'if' weather improves, but Square-spot Rustic has me scratching my head this year. Out really early, way back in early July, and then disappeared and then never in numbers since.

    ReplyDelete