Wednesday 11 October 2017

The Lonesome Pear

In a field a few metres from our house in Westcott stands a lonely Pyrus which I inspect for leaf-mines every year.  The only difference between today's search and those of previous years was that I actually found one this time, and quite a good one too.  Between July and October the larvae of the gelechiid Recurvaria nanella mine leaves of pear (and apple) before going on to hibernate externally then feed again in spring on the leaf and flower buds.  This is a nationally scarce species and thought to be in decline.  In Bucks there are fewer than ten records, all of the adult, and it appears to be quite rare unless you live in Marlow Bottom!  I have one or two possible candidates awaiting inspection from away-trapping in the county this year but, as with any scarce moth, it is always nice to find evidence of it close to home.

The Lonesome Pear, Westcott 11th October

Mine of Recurvaria nanella, Westcott 11th October

Mine of Recurvaria nanella, Westcott 11th October

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

2 comments:

  1. I'd better look at my pear trees then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had several adults again in the garden this year. I put it down to a large old apple tree that grows here. Maybe I should inspect some of its leaves.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.