Tuesday 15 May 2018

Ivinghoe Beacon

I ran a couple of MV traps on the National Trust's Ivinghoe Beacon, Bucks last night.  Even though it had been a warm day it got chilly quite quickly (the north-easterly breeze didn't help) and as a consequence I wasn't expecting a great deal, but this would be my only opportunity this month to look for the nationally scarce Light Feathered Rustic which I thought might be flying by now.  I was beginning to wonder if I was perhaps too early for it but after two hours a couple eventually turned up to one of the lights - job done! 

Ivinghoe Beacon 14th May

Light Feathered Rustic, Ivinghoe 14th May

Exposed chalk grassland still hasn't come into its own yet so far as moths are concerned and I managed just over 30 species between the two traps.  There were very few micros, Rhopobota stagnana and first sightings for me this year of Mompha miscella and Emmetia marginea being the only things of any interest.  Amongst the macros Green Carpet was out and about in considerable numbers, Small Waved Umber, Scalloped Hazel and the dark form of Pale Oak Beauty all appeared, while noctuids new for the year included Shears, Light Brocade, Rustic Shoulder-knot and Treble Lines.

Pale Oak Beauty f. humperti, Ivinghoe 14th May

Light Brocade, Ivinghoe 14th May


Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.