Sunday 13 May 2018

Least Black Arches?

Not a great example and not a great photo. It's had a bit of an adventure. I saw it a couple of nights ago on the kitchen window and tried to pot it but it flew inside. I think since then it nearly ended up in the washing up but I managed to find it this morning. I think it must be dehydrated as it's sitting on my photo background mat which was damp and it's got it's proboscis on the mat.

The second not so good pic is of a caterpillar at Harcourt Arboretum taken last week. There were hundreds hanging off some of the trees - presumably in attempt to find a new home. Any ideas what it would be?  


Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford



5 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    I think it is probably one of the sawfly larvae.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a blurry side view that indicates they are geometers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's Least Black Arches, Mark, and I'd suggest Winter Moth for the larva.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.