Saturday 16 June 2018

Two more micros

I think the first of these is Enarmonia formosana - certainly an attractive moth when examined closely. The second (images 2 and 3) looks a bit like Ancylis uncella but I may well be completely on the wrong track with this? Both about 9mm in length and caught last night. Confirmation/correction welcome.




I am not getting many moths around the trap at present and I am wondering whether the blackbirds are actually visiting during the night and not waiting until dawn to see what's for breakfast.

Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.

3 comments:

  1. Andy,

    You might be right about blackbirds. I have a cheeky male that comes inside, despite a fly screen, to make sure I haven't missed any in the egg boxes just inside the patio doors.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andy, the first is indeed the very smart Enarmonia formosana. The second isn't Ancylis uncella (an uncommon heathland species which feeds on heather) but looks to me like a Eucosma. It could be the very common Eucosma cana but looks rather dark and dissection would be preferable to get to species.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks. I did spend some time looking at Eucosma cana for the second. I do still have the moth so I will keep it in the freezer for now. I did think Ancylis uncella was unlikely.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.