Thursday 21 June 2018

Wind impacting numbers overnight in Longwick

Numbers were down for me last night ( the car being MOT'd giving the chance to work from home and therefore to put the trap out last night) perhaps due to the wind. However there were some new for the year including Brown Rustic, Single Dotted Wave, Short cloaked Moth and Miller.

I also trapped two Argyresthia's both of which I believe may be cupressella. I attach photos here but their metallic gold is making photography difficult. I still have them and will try for better shots but share them here for  comment.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew, that looks like cupressella to me. Co-incidentally I had one in Westcott last night too, the second ever here after one two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine seems to permanently adopt the standard Argyresthia nose-down resting position - I'll add a picture to the report I've just uploaded about Cabbage Moth.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Dave - mine are definitely rather horizontal! You probably don't remember but I have two very long leylandii hedges which are presumably the source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are one or two moths that will use leylandii now - you presumably do well for Blair's Shoulder-knot in the autumn!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.