Sunday 22 July 2018

Garden sightings that need some confirmation

Here are a few moths that I spotted around the garden between mid June and mid July. I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me if I have identified any incorrectly.

A eudonia lacustrata

A Notocelia trimaculana


A pale oak beauty


A sallow

A small fan-footed wave



A willow beauty


A yellow shell

I'm not too confident about a couple of them, so I'm expecting to be corrected!

Now I'll get on with identifying the moths that I've photo'd since mid July.

Thanks in advance. 



5 comments:

  1. Jacqui, I can help with a few.

    1.I think you may have uploaded the wrong photo as it's a Silver Y

    4. Female Ghost moth

    7. Blood-vein I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqui, as Mark says, the first is a Silver Y. You could be correct with the second one but the angle that the photo has been taken from doesn't help us to see all the useful markings. The third does look like Pale Oak Beauty, then you have a smart female Ghost Moth, Small Fan-footed Wave, Fern and Small Blood-vein.

    Giving your approximate location is always a great help when asking for IDs like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave, thanks for your feedback. The first one was very small - only about 10 - 15 mm long. So much smaller than the other silver y's that I've had. I think my photo can't be doing it justice.

    I'm in Speen, by the way. I'll put that on future messages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that - I had a really tiny but perfectly-formed Silver Y last night and I was going to try and photograph it against a normal-sized one but the latter escaped so I abandoned that idea! The moth is well-known for having a small form (f. gammina) which is normally associated with migration from Mediterranean areas, but with all the heat we've had this year they could well be home-grown specimens which have had trouble feeding-up in the larval stage.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.