Sunday 1 July 2018

My turn for a Pug query!

This chap came to the trap last night.  I've been trying to turn it into a species which would be new for the garden but is quite uncommon in Bucks.  If I've got the correct species - and I have my own doubts so it is by no means certain - then of the three (out of 22) county records which have been confirmed through genitalia examination, two are from woods very local to me.  There's certainly no shortage of the larval food-plants hereabouts and the moth should be flying now.  Anyone care to put a name to it?!  It'll go for examination anyway.


Pug, Westcott 30th June

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

4 comments:

  1. If you’re going for something unusual, as it looks a bit like Wormwood Pug, maybe you’re thinking Pimpinel Pug?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks everyone! Three different answers and none of them the one I was thinking in terms of, proving yet again that trying to ID worn Pugs from pictures is more often than not a fool's errand!! I'll let you know when it is dissected...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.