Thursday 26 July 2018

Two Fat Ladies

I thought I'd seen a couple of Red Underwings flying around our large willow the previous day but I got confirmation yesterday that they're out and about when a female decided during the afternoon that inside the house was the coolest place to be.  Then the overnight twin-30wt actinic trap was graced by a slightly battered but still very welcome female Oak Eggar.

Red Underwing, Westcott 25th July

Oak Eggar, Westcott 25th July

There have been further harbingers of autumn in the garden trap over the last couple of days in the shape of Rosy Rustic on the 24th and Six-striped Rustic last night (my first ever July record), the latter being accompanied by yet another Oak Processionary.  I also had a fresh Figure of Eighty which I'm sure will be an attempt at a second brood as the last garden sighting of this common species here was on 15th June.  I've had August records of it in three recent years (2013, 2014 & 2016), the latest date being 24th August 2016.

Figure of Eighty, Westcott 25th July

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.