Sunday 12 August 2018

A couple of moths for checking

I have a couple of moths from last night's garden trap that I would like to double-check. The first I think is a Common Wave (as opposed to a Common White Wave).


The second moth I thought might be a candidate for Agriphila selasella (as opposed to tristella). The forewing length was 12mm, smaller than the 2 tristella that were also in the trap.


Finally, if I could also add this rather tatty third individual. I am assuming Parapoynx stratiotata (Ringed China-mark)?


Steve Trigg, Cookham

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, yes to Common Wave (in Common White Wave the lines are parallel rather than curved and usually black rather than brown). I don't think there's quite enough left of your Agriphila to tell which it is, from that picture anyway. There is a hint that the lighter band is pinched in the middle which would point more towards tristella. The final image looks to me like Evergestis pallidata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that pallidata would be quite a good garden record. I don't know what the situation is in VC22 but for Bucks there are just short of 40 records, that's all. I have seen it in a couple of the woods near Marlow which is not a million miles from you in Cookham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks for your help Dave. I missed Evergestis pallidata in the guide book - a new addition to the garden list. My excuse (and it is a feeble one) is that I already had a female Ringed China-mark in the same catch, and jumped to the rash conclusion that I must also have a male (it has happened before). However, at the same time I felt the markings weren't quite correct, which is why I queried it.
    Re the Agriphila, it is a little weather beaten which certainly doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.