Wednesday 8 August 2018

Two additions to Cookham garden list

I put my actinic light out in the garden last night, as opposed to the usual MV trap. I generally get slightly fewer moths with the actinic, but importantly some different moths as well.
Thus I was rewarded with 2 new moths for the garden list. The first was a Jersey Tiger (the yellow form lutescens) which has already appeared on this blog, so I won't add another photo. The second new moth was a Beautiful Yellow Underwing. This is a really lovely moth, as I hope the photo below shows.


The moth was a little camera shy when it came to displaying the yellow hindwings, but they can be seen in the shot below.


I thought I would also post a picture of the Blood-vein that appeared last night. I have never seen one before so pink in the lower half of the wings.


Steve Trigg, Cookham

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Yellow Underwing is an excellent record for your garden - I don't recall there being all that much heather around Cookham! It most likely will have strayed from one of the south Bucks or Berkshire heaths.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.