Thursday 27 September 2018

Box Moth arrives in Longwick

I thought it would be a while before it arrived here given I am still  missing a number of recently expanding species which seem to like the urban "heat island". However a pristine Box Moth was one of the very few things sitting in the trap this morning (with only Large Yellow Underwing, Lunar Underwing, Black Rustic, acleris variegana and Epiphyas postvittana for company).

The clepsis dumicolana colony is now well into its second brood with yesterdays afternoon sunshine and high temperatures encouraging eight of them to fly around.

The weather has curtailed my trapping attempts recently but I am struck by the fact I have not seen a single Red Underwing  (never mind a blue one which also has yet to reach here!) nor any sallow species except Centre Barred!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.