Tuesday 18 September 2018

Patience rewarded, and 2 micro queries

I have been reading about Hummingbird Hawk-moth sightings all over the place, and in particular daily sightings on the Westcott buddleia. However, on my own buddleia bushes there have been plenty of butterflies but not a single hawk-moth. Until that is yesterday, when finally a Hummingbird Hawk-moth decided my garden was worth a visit after all.


In the garden trap on Sunday night, I also found my first Old Lady of the year - another moth I had almost given up hope of seeing in 2018.
I also trapped a couple of micros I would like advice on. In his post the other day, Adam mentioned Epinotia nisella being a common moth in his garden. I wondered if this moth below is also an E. nisella?


The second micro shown below has a forewing length of 7mm and any suggestions as to its id would be appreciated.


Steve Trigg, Cookham

3 comments:

  1. If there's any brown on the wing then it is nisella. If it is the grey form it needs chopping to see if it is the less common cinereana. Can I see a brown blotch on top? Is the other one Scrobipalpa costella?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes, a definite brown blotch on the top of the Epinotia. The Scrobipalpa costella I recognise now - I have recorded one before in the garden.

      Delete
  2. I’m down in Devon at the moment so the kitchen window buddleia watch back at Westcott is currently being carried out by my wife. She has seen one both yesterday (Tuesday) and today so that takes garden sightings past 70 for the year, the best ever here! I suppose it is all down to luck...

    I agree with Peter, Epinotia nisella and Scrobipalpa costella for the micros.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.