Saturday 6 October 2018

Clifden nonpareil & Spruce Carpet?

My second Clifden nonpareil of the year, the first one was at the end of August so it's doubtful it's the same one. A bit tatty and a lot less flighty than the ones I've had before.

After reading the description of the differences between the Grey Pine and Spruce Carpet in two books I'm still not clear on how they line up with the illustrations - but this looks the dead spit of the illustration in Waring & Townsend (the other book was Conifer Moths of the British Isles). So if I have it wrong, or even if I've got it right I'd like to know how the determination was made if possible.

Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford



3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, well done on your second Clifden, I'm still waiting on here! I think you're right on the Spruce Carpet, have a look at this link:
    http://www.hantsmoths.org.uk/species/mothcomp_thera.php

    Nigel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd agree with Spruce Carpet.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.