Monday 22 October 2018

White Ermine second generation


I was expecting my granddaughter's White Ermine chrysalises, bred in her kitchen in London from eggs laid here by an arrival on the last day of May, to over-winter. But yesterday, one hatched, prompting anxious 'phone calls from my daughter-in-law about what the new arrival might want in the way of food. Explanations about the inadvisability of keeping adult moths as pets are under way, but the moth is being kept until Grandpa trundles down tomorrow; let's hope it stays calm.

Waring, Townend and Lewington note in last year's edition that the smaller, partial second generation in September and October has recently increased in numbers. So here is another morsel of evidence. My own - second picture - slumber on. I hope they stay that way, as I plan to give them next week to a friend in Salisbury who wants to take up light-trapping and specifically mentioned the White Ermine as a draw.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.