Thursday 28 March 2019

Emperors

Having heard of sightings in Norfolk several days previously, I tried my recently-acquired Emperor Moth pheromone lure in the garden on Tuesday afternoon (26th) but had no luck.  I tried again this afternoon (Thursday) and got a male within ten minutes and two more within 20 minutes, so it is safe to say that they're out and about locally rather early this year.  My only previous March record was a female to light in the grounds of Waddesdon Manor on 31st March 2009.

Emperor Moth male, Westcott 28th March

This is the first time I've used the pheromone, having previously relied on rearing adults from larvae (done annually since 2006).  However, last year's crop of caterpillars succumbed to a virus in their final instar and I currently have only a handful of pupae which have over-wintered twice, so decided to invest in the lure as a safety measure.  It works, but in my very limited experience in ideal conditions this afternoon (warm and sunny with a very light breeze) I would say that the males are far less persistent than they would be to a virgin female.  They seem to realise there's something not quite right and are gone after just a few passes, so you need to keep your eyes open!

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

1 comment:

  1. Encouraged by something that flashed past me at Wilstone Reservoir I put my lure out the same day as you but to no avail. However this afternoon one did spend a minute or two around the lure before leaving high to the south. My second ever here and only since I bought the lure!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.