Sunday 10 March 2019

Grey Shoulder-knot.

Too windy and wet for my liking outside. I've run my garden trap once so far this year, catching some of the usual suspects.
This moth, however, turned up on my porch light, which is unusual in itself. Not all that unusual for most of you, I imagine, but, in around a decade of trapping, it's the first time I have ever seen this species.


Talking to Richard Ellis, who also lives in Chorleywood, VC 24, I was told he reckons to catch one in around every three years. My impression is that some contributors on here see it more often, or am I wrong about that? 



3 comments:

  1. Here in North Oxfordshire I seem to get 1 or 2 each year.
    2016 2 in October, 2017 1 in January, 2018 2 in November, 2019 1 in February (so far?).
    Far from common and there are several mature oaks a few hundred yards from where I run the trap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi both, there's a shortage of oaks in my immediate vicinity here in Westcott (just the one juvenile tree a couple of gardens away and one or two more mature examples in field hedgerows elsewhere in the village, otherwise the nearest oak woodland is about a mile away). That doesn't seem to stop me getting many of the oak-feeding species, though. Grey Shoulder-knot is a regular here both before and after hibernation and this spring it seems to be doing particularly well because I've had eight of them so far, including three together a couple of nights ago (the most I've ever had to light at any one time). For what it is worth, here are some figures for the garden for this decade:
    2010 spring 3, autumn 3
    2011 spring 1, autumn 2
    2012 spring 1, autumn 3
    2013 spring 1, autumn 6
    2014 spring 0, autumn 2
    2015 spring 3, autumn 7
    2016 spring 1, autumn 1
    2017 spring 3, autumn 3
    2018 spring 0, autumn 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your replies, chaps. Interesting results from you. There's a fair bit of oak around in Chorleywood, including some mature specimens near me, although only one small tree and several saplings in my back garden. Of course, I don't trap in my back garden regularly any more, but I do run lights elsewhere, including oak woodlands. So, perhaps a patchy distribution, and not all that common, but a bit difficult to draw any strong conclusions.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.