Friday 8 March 2019

Psychidae moth larva at Dancersend

This morning I spotted a tiny (5mm) conical lump of lichen bits on a beech trunk at Dancersend. When I approached closer with my camera in macro mode it moved! I collected it and got more photos at home - not brilliant as I couldn't get the lighting right. I think it is one of the Psychidae, probably Luffia ferchaultella, but then spotted that Albertini and Hall had a record of Luffia lapidella on my Dancersend Moths master list. I thought this was the much rarer species, but I can see there's probably been some splitting in recent years. Will I need to breed it out to be sure? I also got a video of the front part of the larva trying to reattach itself to a twig, but not sure I can load this here.

Mick Jones

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mick, they are now considered one and the same species. To quote the latest update to the British ABH list in the Jan/Feb issue of Ent Rec:
    "11.009 Luffia ferchaultella considered a form of L. lapidella by Arscheid and Weidlich (2017)" 11.008 L.lapidella is deleted from the British list and 11.009 is renamed from L.ferchaultella to L.lapidella. Hope you're still with me...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and by the way, the video worked! Didn't know you could do that on Blogger.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dave. Now I know that it will be returned to its beech tree tomorrow.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.