Monday 8 April 2019

Purple Thorn, and Zelleria hepariella

Last night stayed overcast here, with little wind and the temperature staying well above freezing. As a result, the garden trap attracted the largest total of moths to date - 71 individuals of 15 different species. 4 macros (all singles) were new for the year - Lunar Marbled Brown, Mullein, Frosted Green and best of all Purple Thorn. The last time I recorded a Purple Thorn in my garden was 2013.

Purple Thorn - Cookham 07-Apr-19
There were just 2 micros - one Diurnea fagella, and the micro pictured below which I found hiding under the rain guard. I have not seen this moth before, but it looks to me like Zelleria hepariella.

Zelleria hepariella - Cookham 07-Apr-19
Steve Trigg, Cookham

1 comment:

  1. Yes indeed, that's Zelleria hepariella in typical pose, Steve.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.