Tuesday 21 May 2019

Speckled Yellow

A discussion the other day about this smart little day-flyer reminded me that I haven't seen one in Bucks for six years, so I ventured out today in search of it.  Restricted to the south of the county now, one was found at Littleworth Common and another ten in/around Strawberry Wood at Black Park.  At the latter site the moths were favouring Wood Spurge (not to be confused with the moth's food-plant, Wood Sage).  One little clump of Wood Spurge had five of them on it.

Speckled Yellow, Black Park 21st May

Wood Spurge is of course the food-plant of another day-flying moth, the featureless but nationally scarce Drab Looper which is the epitome of the "boring brown-job"!  It is on the wing now and there are copious amounts of its food-plant in most of my local woods, especially in Bernwood Forest from where Maitland Emmet had the last Bucks record in 1940.  There are still several sites for it in Berkshire, though.

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks    

5 comments:

  1. It is indeed on the wing and one where you need to get your eye in to spot them too, they can be easily missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at Black Park yesterday late afternoon (21st) and had 2 of these by heath area. I also had male Emperor moth and what I presume was a Fox moth. What I didn't get was a Large Red-belted Clearwing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert, I presume you mean you had 2 Speckled Yellow rather than two Drab Looper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walked through Hillmots Wood (Beaconsfield/Hedgerley) yesterday and saw at least 4 Speckled Yellow.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.