Friday 28 June 2019

A couple of queries

I caught the two moths below last night and would welcome thoughts.  The first is very dark and I've lightened the photo a bit to try and see any markings. I think it is probably a dark Bryotropha terrella, but it seems to be lacking the dark dots mid wing and the wings also seem a bit broad. At 8mm length, it is the right size.


The second I have recorded as Bryotropha affinis, 5mm length.  Is there any need to get this checked? Seems nicely speckled and matt in appearance, so should rule out similar species.


Adam Bassett
Marlow Bottom

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam,
    I'd agree with both, Bryotropha terrella and Bryotropha affinis. The latter is usually a bit brighter too, with the cross-band and those light areas attached to the black dots often "whiter" than shown in your image.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.