Wednesday 26 June 2019

Marlow Bottom 25 June

Potentially two new moths for my garden last night. The first is Small Seraphim - I had to play around with the very over exposed photo to show the detail, as it evaded capture.


The second is what I think is Coleophora trifolii.  It is 8mm in length, so quite big, metallic green with a coppery tip to the wings and distinct white tipped antennae.  Is this a safe ID without the need for dissection?


57 species recorded (including aggs) with 27 Treble Brown Spot the most numerous and my first Cydalima perspectalis of the year.

Finally, I struggle with splitting this pair, I am assuming this is Metzneria lapella as opposed to metzneriella, even though it is quite dark.



Adam Bassett

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adam,
    Nice to get Small Seraphim in the garden. Looking at the antennae, I think you are fine there with Coleophora trifolii. Markings-wise, I would have thought that the Metzneria was closer to metzneriella but, as you say, these are very difficult to separate. I'd be sending that one to Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. I’ve potted the Metzneria and will release the Coleophorid.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.