Monday 10 June 2019

Nigel/Martin revamped moth photos

Thank you both for your help and advice, it is much appreciated.

I think the point you both make about taking account of size when trying to identify a moth is very pertinent. I have, therefore made myself a short mm ruler to aid with this task. I have also rephotographed some of the moths to give better views. Unfortunately I had released the toadflax/foxglove pug so I can't get a better shot of that. One of the things that immediately came out of this exercise is that what I had as potentially an Alder moth is too large to be a minor.

Alder?

Minor?

Micro?
 Dark arches?
Large nutmeg or rustic shoulder-knot

Alan Diver
Tackley.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Alan,
    Yes indeed to Alder Moth this time. However, the moth you'd labelled as Alder in the earlier post was a Minor as identified by Martin. Your second image here does look to me like one of the darker Minor forms so would need dissection to get to species. The micro has seen better days but I think it is an Ephestia (so probably E.unicolorella). Dark Arches looks good but I'm afraid I'm not sure about the last one from that view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last one looks like another Dark Arches, bw, Marc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both.

    For the sake of clarity Dave, the Alder moth in both posts was the same moth, helping to emphasize the value of an indication of moth size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid you are mistaken there, Alan. The moth in your first post is a completely different specimen altogether, and shows a Minor. Maybe you uploaded the wrong picture at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't want to keep conversation going, but checking again, definitely same moth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you might need a visit to Specsavers, Alan!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.