Wednesday 31 July 2019

An Anarsia sp in Newport Pagnell

Is it just me that finds that the moths you don't recognize straight away but are clearly marked that lead you to think I'll have no trouble sorting that out often turn out to be quite the opposite.  Well here is one that I thought would be relatively easy and has proved otherwise.


This came to the Robinson trap in my garden in Newport Pagnell on 12th July and I thought it to be Anarsia lineatella but it seems that, if indeed it is an Anarsia, it is more likely to Anarsia innoxiella.  It has apparently caused confusion in the past.  I did wonder about it though as there is only a textual reference to lineatella in the Micro moths of GB and I. Nice looking moth though. 

3 comments:

  1. It certainly happens to me Gordon so you're not alone! Your moth looks like Anarsia inoxiella to me. It was new in Berks this year and there were at least three records in late June that I am aware of, so yours is a sign of continued spread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gordon,

    That is indeed Anarsia innoxiella. There is an obvious difference in wing markings between the two, based on the black stripes at the centre of the wing. The one VC24 record for lineatella (Peach Twig Borer) back in 2015 was re-determined after these two species were split two years later. I'm not quite sure how many county records there have now been for innoxiella but I saw five at two different sites last year and I've had a couple this year, one at a third site, so it is definitely on the march.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.