Friday 12 July 2019

Balsam Carpet

Some busy nights by the standards of my actinic trap in my East Oxford back garden since 8 July, with 40+ species each night, and 209 of 54 species on 9 July close to my all time record in terms of diversity. Very good numbers of Heart and Dart, Dark Arches and Uncertain/Rustic, but also swarms of Water Veneer on each night, and up to 30 Riband Waves (on 9 July) far more than any previous night.

Perhaps most interesting was a very fresh Balsam Carpet on night of 11 July. Not very sure of the status of this - can't find any very recent records (last few years) on Upper Thames blog. Certainly a new one for me.
Balsam Carpet, East Oxford, 11 July 2019

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ben,

    I suspect this is a species we'll be seeing more of. In Bucks it seems limited by its food-plant to the Thames and tributaries (I trapped one at Latimer on the River Chess on 28th July last year which was illustrated on the blog), so perhaps not all that surprising that you should find one in Oxford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - somehow missed that entry. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.