Wednesday 3 July 2019

Good trapping during recent warm weather

Like others, I have been catching good numbers of moths in my actinic trap over the last 10 days. Instead of running it in the usual position on the back lawn, 20m from the house, I have run it on the patio table, a position where pale-coloured curtains at windows on the back of the house reflect the light. I have found moths not only in the trap, but also around it and on the windows and walls of the house. Most abundant have been Heart and Dart, Dark Arches and Riband Wave, along with (for example) Small Elephant Hawk-moths, Privet Hawk-moths, Scarlet Tigers, Peppered Moths and Coronets. I have tried to ID the moths below, but would be pleased if someone would correct me where I am wrong.

23 June 19 - Dioryctria sp., Large Nutmeg (or weakly-marked Dark Arches?), Obscure Wainscot.




25 June 19 - Ethmia dodecea, Treble Brown Spot.



27 June 19 - Cypress Carpet, Mottled Beauty.



29 June 19 - European Corn-borer (female).


1 July 19 - Cnephasia sp.?


John Clough, Marlow

2 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    The Dioryctria looks to me like abietella. I agree with Large Nutmeg and the rest are correct (the Cnephasia would need dissection to get to species).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, I appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.