Friday 19 July 2019

Nemophora metallica and other micros

A few of us made a second moth trapping visit to the Hook Norton Railway Cutting BBOWT reserve. In the evening I must have seen at least 20 Nemophora metallica (I think) just on the scabious heads beside the footpath. There must have been hundreds on the site.



And for confirmation/correction.
1. A Eucosma species possibly obumbratana? 10mm


2. Possibly Ancylis achatana? 9mm


3. Is this just a Borkhausenia fuscescens? 6.5mm


Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris Oxon.

4 comments:

  1. Not that I've seen one, but the Eucosma looks more like conterminana to be. Agree 2. 3. Is Teleiodes vulgella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks. I'll look at the Eucosma further. I still have the moth if necessary. I should have got 3! The rain on Wednesday night was just enough to result in a lot of very bedraggled micros to sort through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy,
    The Eucosma picture is rather on the dark side but to me it is suggestive of one of the hohenwartiana group and, if correct, would need dissection anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep the moth for dissection along with a few others from the session that I know will need checking.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.