Sunday 28 July 2019

Rosy Footman, and some micro queries

My garden trap was out on the very damp warm night of Friday 26th, and so I suppose it is not surprising to find 162 Acentria ephemerella (Water Veneer) the following morning. Even discounting the Acentria, there were still more micros than macros in the trap (125 individuals of 36 species versus 117 individuals of 27 species).
New macros for this year's garden list did include this nice Rosy Footman.


Of the micros, there are a couple that are completely new to me, such as this one below which I think might be Endothenia quadrimaculana (fw just over 11mm)?


The small black and white individual below (fw 5mm) looks like Parachronistis albiceps - a moth I have recorded before.


Finally, I rescued this moth from the damp but it died on me, so it is not showing its correct resting posture. However, I thought it might be one of the Caloptilia species (fw length 6mm)?


Steve Trigg, Cookham

5 comments:

  1. Your second micro is Recurvaria nanella Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottom one looks like Caloptilia alchimiella/robustella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve,

    Very nice to get a Rosy Footman!

    Of your queries, the first is indeed Endothenia quadrimaculana which, in our area at least, is nowhere near as common as the field guide would have you believe. I've only seen it once. The second looks to me more like Recurvaria nanella which would be a nice find (worth getting it checked by Peter). The final one is indeed a Caloptilia and needs dissection to differentiate between alchimiella and robustella.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen Endothenia quadrimaculana, but it looks a good match.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks Adam and Dave for your quick responses. I have recorded Recurvaria nanella once before, back in 2016.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.