Tuesday 16 July 2019

Yellow-legged Clearwing

Like Adam, I thought today might produce some clearwing activity but I restricted myself to the garden and the lures didn't go out until 4pm.  I tried HYL (for Raspberry, brought in a Harlequin Ladybird), API (for Six-belted, brought in a Marmalade Hoverfly) and VES which produced a single Yellow-legged Clearwing sometime between 5pm and 5.45pm. It might still be a little early for Raspberry and I doubt that it has expanded its range this far west yet, while I'm probably pushing my luck for Six-belted in the garden because the nearest known colony is about a mile away.

Yellow-legged Clearwing, Westcott 16th July

Yellow-legged has appeared at Westcott once before, in 2014, and today's success means that all five clearwing species which have ever been recorded in the garden (Currant, Yellow-legged, Orange-tailed, Red-belted & Red-tipped) have put in at least one appearance in 2019, making this my most successful year ever with the lures. 

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.