Thursday 26 September 2019

Autumn is here...

In terms of numbers and species recorded, recent days in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire have taken a distinctly autumnal feel. Various sallow species, Black Rustic, Autumnal Rustic and the like (and, inevitably, loads of Lunar Underwings) have started showing up in varying numbers. The two photos below are pretty typical species:

Brown-spot Pinion, 20/9/19

Sallow, 22/9/19
A couple of micros from almost a fortnight ago are leaving me a little perplexed: the first is clearly a crambid, but I can't decide what species; and the second looks as though it could be Ypsolopha vittella, but I'd be grateful of corroboration!

Crambid sp., 12/9/19

Possible Ypsolopha vittella, 12/9/19
Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. Hello Steve,

    I'm afraid I can't see enough on the scoparid image to offer an ID. However, I think you'll find the other one is Plutella xylostella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dave: that suspicion had begun to cross my mind shortly after posting. Hey-ho!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.