Tuesday 3 September 2019

Dioryctria abietella

The moth Gods must have known it is my birthday today and as a gift presented me with what I am pretty sure is Dioryctria abietella.  It was in my Robinson trap in the garden at Newport Pagnell and is a new one for me and the garden. It  was 1 of 127 moths of 17 species of which Large Yellow Underwing(48), Vine's Rustic(26) and Setaceous Hebrew Character(20) were the 1-2-3.



It seems there has been some confusion in the past with this and another species,D.sylvestrella, with the angled cross line at four fifths being critical. 

I did run a few traps at Linford Lakes Nature Reserve last night and that yielded 217 moths and 34 species.  Large Yellow Underwing(51), Setaceous Hebrew Character(47) and Square-spot Rustic(37) accounted for more than half of the total.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.