Saturday 14 September 2019

White-points

I've seen more White-points Mythimna albipuncta this year in my garden in Walter's Ash (VC24) than I can recall seeing before.

I've seen them regularly at this time of year in the last few years, but only in ones and twos and not that often.

Over the past month I've had them everytime I put the 125 MV trap out and up to 10 at a time, I even had one yesterday feeding on a garden Sedum during the day.

I don't know if that is because the local population is now well established and we are just seeing more of them or because we've had an influx of immigrants?

Have others seen the same thing?

White-point at MV Light 31-Aug-2019
White-point, daytime on Sedum 13-Sep-2019
Neil Fletcher
Walter's Ash

3 comments:

  1. Over here in Westcott, Neil, it started to appear regularly in the garden in 2014 (4 seen) and steadily increased annually up to 2018 (21 seen). However, this year I've had 104 so far, of which 13 were seemingly first-brood (24 May to 2 July) and the remainder second-brood (31 July onwards). Not quite your totals, I imagine, but still clear enough to say that it must now be a local resident, perhaps still backed up by a little bit of migration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Neil. I didn't get any first brood here in Newton Longville: the first I got here was on 23 August after I returned from nearly four weeks in France. Since then, I've had between one and three White-points each time that I've run the trap. I can't make a comparison with previous years as I only started trapping last summer and didn't do so regularly until this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also noticed more White Points this year; nothing like Dave's numbers but two generations split 50-50 at the museum, and 2nd gen in my garden (more this year than all the previous 6 years I've trapped put together).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.