Sunday 13 October 2019

A leaf mine query from Longwick

Given the rain I had a scout around the garden for leaf mines today and came across these two on a dwarf maple of some description ( its dwarf because I keep cutting it down!). Looking at the mine keys I assumed they were stigmella mines but the options on maple were limited and the ones I found looked closer to illustrations of aceris than speciosa - which seemed unlikely! I'm guessing there is another option perhaps from sycamore ? Interested in peoples thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. I think these are Stigmella aceris, Andrew. Stigmella speciosa seems to be specific to Sycamore while Stigmella aceris uses Field Maple, Norway Maple and perhaps other Acer species as well. It has gone from being quite rare to exceedingly common locally in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave. The app I was looking at had aceris limited to a small area around London so I didn't think it was possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's even in my garden here in Herefordshire

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.