Wednesday 11 March 2020

A good night

I was hopeful that last night (Tuesday) would be a good night for moths. I was aware that there was a full moon in an almost-clear sky which might reduce numbers by a bit, but the day had been warm (15°C) and the night was forecast to be warm and dry.

In spite of my already-optimistic expectations, when I checked the two traps in my garden this morning I was delighted to find that I had 49 moths of ten species. The most frequent species was Common Quaker, with 25 moths.  The Orthosia family was also represented by Hebrew Character (12) and Clouded Drab (1).  Other macros comprised Twin-spotted Quaker (2)*, Oak Beauty (2)*, Early Grey (1)* and March Moth (1)**.  There were three species of micromoth: Agonopterix subpropinquella (2)**, A. heracliana (1) and Emmelina monodactyla/Common Plume (1)*.  A single asterisk denotes a first-for-the-year; a double asterisk signifies a new addition to the all-time garden list, but bear in mind that I'm still in my second year of trapping.
Oak Beauty, Newton Longville 10th March
The very observant may notice that this adds up to only 48 moths: there was one other moth which I think was another Clouded Drab, but which I'm rather doubtful about.  Its forewing isn't particularly pointed and it seems to lack the black marks along the outer cross-line.
Newton Longville 10th March
There were about as many moths that settled on the sheet behind the trap (or within the folds of the sheet) as entered the trap. One of the Common Quakers laid a batch of eggs under the fold.
Common Quaker eggs, Newton Longville 10th March
[edited to reload the photo of the eggs, which was showing as deleted]

Tim Arnold
Newton Longville

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.