Thursday 5 March 2020

Spring slowly seeping in

It was quite cold on Tuesday night - the temperature dropped steadily to a minimum of 0.6°C - but more of the wildlife seems to think that spring is here. While I was emptying the traps before sunrise this morning, the recent weeks' chorus of robins, song thrush and great tits was augmented by a goldcrest and a wren; a couple of dunnocks joined in as I finished packing up after the sun was up. The blossom from our plum trees is falling like confetti and later in the morning I saw my first bumblebee in the garden (too briefly and too distantly to identify). My total count of moths reached a new high for 2020, albeit with no new species for the year.

Common Quaker, Newton Longville
3rd March
Common Quaker, Newton Longville
3rd March
The 15 moths were dominated by Common Quaker, which ranged from the dull and the gone-a-few-rounds-with-Tyson-Fury to the very smart. The other four moths were two Hebrew Character and singletons of Clouded Drab and Dotted Border.
Dotted Border, Newton Longville
3rd March


One additional moth will have to go into the "if in doubt, leave it out" category. While I was looking in on one of the traps at about 7:30pm last night, a micromoth fluttered into view, paused on the sheet behind the trap for half a second and then flew off again. I didn't even have time to put my hand in my pocket for a pot.  Tentatively, it might have been Agonopterix heracliana, but I'll never know.


Tim Arnold
Newton Longville

1 comment:

  1. Edited: when I first wrote this entry, I thought that the Dotted Border was the first one I'd had this year. This was despite my database clearly showing that I had caught one on 13th February. The photo layout isn't as I intended, but Blogger sometimes has a mind of its own, so I've left it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.