Thursday 28 May 2020

A Few Micro Queries

My mothing in my central Oxford garden continues to plod along with a couple of  NFG moths this year to keep me happy. Compared to many other people my catches are modest but during these lockdown times it's a welcome diversion to unpack the trap each morning. I've had a couple of Poplar Hawkmoths to wow the children but nothing earth shattering. 

I've got a couple of micros that I'd just like confirmation on. I'm not sure if either of them can be done without the chop (I've not kept them) but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Adam,


Mompha  species - I was wondering about M. sturnipennella rather than M. subbistrigella

Monopis species - can M. crocicapitella be separated from M. obviella without disection?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Adam,
    I'm afraid both of those would need the chop to be absolutely sure. The top one looks like subbistrigella to me but if you suspect sturnipennella then I think dissection would be needed - I don't know about Oxon but it is a rare moth in Bucks (only two records). The Monopis will probably be obviella and they can be separated by looking at the hindwings, although that's not easy on such a small moth if you don't wish it to come to harm.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.