Friday 8 May 2020

Great new mothing accessory!

I thought you might like to see my new piece of kit. It's a pop up mosquito tent that I place over my trap(I cut the bottom out) in the morning before I open up the trap. It is fantastic at stopping all those interesting moths that always get away too quickly before being identified!
I had a good night last night with 45 moths of 15 species. Including 4 Lobster moths, Pebble Hook Tip, Green Carpet, Orange Footman and Marbled Brown.

Lorna Woolhouse, Checkendon, South Oxon

3 comments:

  1. That's a novel idea! If you can find a way to peg it down it would also be a useful method of keeping the birds at bay from dawn until you are ready to go through the trap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the little stool! Better then kneeling or bending over double.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have another way of avoiding a lot of kneeling or bending over: I use the kind of folding table that is sold in DIY stores for use when wallpapering, and I lift the trap onto it for emptying. However, I really like Lorna's mosquito tent - in the summer I lose quite a few moths when I try to photograph them and I think that some escape between the time that I close the trap before dawn and when I start to empty it after breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.