Wednesday 27 May 2020

Minor problem

I have forever been recording Marbled Minor agg for the three species which are recommended for genitalia dissection to id them, but I just wondered if it were possible to positively id at least the ones  with tawny markings as Tawny Marbled Minor? The three colour variations shown here are those which I am catching lots of at the moment, in roughly equal numbers. The all black specimens and the tawny shaded specimens are consistently smaller than the marbled specimens. If genitalia dissection is required for all, then Peter Hall may I send you a selection for the chop?!!!




3 comments:

  1. Hi Alastair, my understanding is that although the sizes and colours can give a suggestion of what the species is likely to be, dissection is the only reliable method, so I'm afraid I will continue to ask Berkshire recorders to record them as aggregates unless dissected. When choosing a sample for dissection it's certainly worth aiming for a range of different forms and sizes. Don't want to spoil Peter's fun, but I'm happy to do some dissections if you wish (preferably of males 'cos they're easier!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fine, you can decide Alastair. I won't turn anyone down in Upper Thames. Perhaps you can look and see if they are females or males based on what Martin has said. Females are also fairly straightforward to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks both. A batch will be winging their way to you Peter...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.