Monday 6 July 2020

So it does work!

Amongst the clearwing lures I've had for years is one for Hornet Moth and I've never ever had any success with it despite many attempts.  Until today, that is, when I took it with me yet again to a known site for the moth and hung the lure in its trap a couple of metres up a black poplar while I completed a butterfly transect.  It was there from 2.30pm until 4pm and in that time a single male turned up.  I wasn't expecting any results because Hornet Moth females tend to emerge in the early morning so the males have probably begun to lose interest by the afternoon!  However, at least I now know that the lure works. 

Hornet Moth, Grendon Underwood 6th July

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.