Friday 3 July 2020

Too soon?

Hi, I am new to moth trapping so please bear with me as I ask novice questions.... I caught the moth below in my trap in my garden in Wokingham, Berkshire on the 26th June- it appears to be a September Thorn (note lack of kink on outer crossline, so I think not an August Thorn). But isn't it very early? I thought these were late July onwards?

Sorry about the poor photo-it was very flighty and flew off seconds after I took this.

The second caught this morning is, I think,  Dotted Clay (Xestia Baha), but they seem quite variable so I would like some confirmation of my ID.



Thanks

Sean

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sean,

    We have records of both August and September Thorn from late-June onwards so your sighting doesn't really come as a surprise (their flight periods have changed somewhat since they were given those names by the Victorians). I agree that your picture looks like September Thorn. The other moth is a Large Yellow Underwing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dave

    Thank you for the clarification (and correction).

    Sean

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.