Tuesday 15 September 2020

More and more...


Lovely to see Vikki Rose's Merveille du Jour this morning - and don't lose hope of a Nonpareil, Vikki. I had another two here this morning, one of them in absolutely mint condition (below and on the right in the top picture and the left in the second one). Because I wanted to show them to neighbours - having advertised their amazing presence here widely on our village Facebook etc - they were getting warmed up when we met at 9.30am and didn't hang about for bigger hindwing pictures. But what a delight!

While I'm on, it's interesting that iRecord apparently still has no Clifden Nonpareil records for Oxfordshire - I raised the issue on their Forum page and a helpful chap called Gustav Clark told me this. I always send mine to them but equally always get the Record Cleaner email. It doesn't concern me unless anyone writing about the amazing resurgence - and surely entomologists are - is missing out on their apparent fondness for our county. These are my sixth and seventh callers, (one of them a repeat).

We're still four days short of the first anniversary of my first-ever CN, so with luck this year's story may not yet be over. Meanwhile I eagerly await my first MduJ - and even, who knows, a Convolvulus Hawk. A neighbour's daughter found one a few years ago in her school playground in Tackley which is only a couple of miles North.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon



2 comments:

  1. I have never used iRecord. I submit all my records to Martin Townsend at the end of the year as well as participating in the Garden Moth Scheme. I mention anything that I consider of particular note on this blog and, because I am so close to the border, report catches on the Warwickshire Moths Facebook group site. I have had 2 Clifden Nonpareil here this year (so far?). Perhaps I should look at iRecord but do wonder if there is a danger of records being duplicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy. I'm the last person to advise on recording but my worry was under-rather than over-reporting. I do hope that someone is doing a study of the Nonpareil phenomenon. All vb M

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.