Thursday 10 September 2020

Oak leaf-mine

Even though it doesn't seem to have affected the number of Oak-feeders I get in the garden traps, this tree species is actually in short supply around our village.  During the spring I planted out a sapling I've been growing in a pot for the last few years and it has already earned its keep by attracting one of several Phyllonorycter species which use Pedunculate Oak as a food-plant.  On 24th August I found five small blotch mines on its leaves and two of them, both on the same leaf, were taken into custody.  The adults both emerged today and, contrary to expectations (I thought they'd be the very common harrisella which I've had in the trap here in previous years), they proved to be Phyllonorycter heegeriella which is a completely new species for the garden.

Can't really call it a tree yet...

Phyllonorycter mine on oak leaf, found 24th August

Phyllonorycter heegeriella, emerged Westcott 10th September

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.