Saturday 3 October 2020

Leaf miners in the rain

Given the weather I thought I would check out the garden for leaf mines in a brief gap in the rain.

In particular our apple tree was absolutely covered in mines of various types including of course Lyonetia Clerkella and callisto denticulella and leucoptera malifoliella. However there were a number I was not clear on and I have attached a range of photographs which I think might include stigmella malella and phyllonorycta leucographella. There is also a cherry leaf with - I'm guessing, Lyonetia Clerkella again? And finally a couple of small mines on Poplar that I cant find at all!

I was surprised at just how many mines there were on the apple including as you will see from the photographs more than one per leaf in some cases.












1 comment:

  1. Hello Andrew,

    The first is Lyonetia clerkella with a likely active Phyllonorycter mine at the bottom; the second I think is more likely to be Stigmella incognitella than malella but I can't really see enough to be sure; the third is Lyonetia clerkella; the fourth is Lyonetia clerkella with Phyllonorycter leucographella; the fifth is Lyonetia clerkella (several of them!); I can't see anything on the sixth; the seventh is a repeat of the fifth image; the eighth is probably Lyonetia clerkella again; if the ninth is black poplar then the mine is likely to be Stigmella trimaculella but I can't see it clearly enough to be sure.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.